"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour, catch the trade winds in your sails.

Explore. Dream. Discover."

- Mark Twain

Sunday, January 16, 2011

What do we think about Korea?

Well, there isn't much to say this week...

It was quiet the uneventful week... Life has settled down and there isn't much excitement. Sadly, no pictures this week. Since we have no exciting stories or adventures to share with everyone I thought perhaps we'd give a bit of a recap about what we think of Korea. Some of the awesome things that makes Korea awesome, and some of the not so awesome things that make us miss home. These are things that are constantly running in our heads (well, at least mine, I don't know about Brian...) during the day.

Let's start with the Korea things we could probably live without/things that make us miss home/things we just haven't gotten used to quite yet or things that are just DIFFERENT...
  • the stares- I kinda of toss and turn between being 'flattered' and finding it very awkward. Wherever we go Koreans tend to stare at the waygooks (foreigners). Kids will often yell out hello and try and talk to us, which really makes you feel like a celebrity. But back home it's so easy to blend in.... In Korea you can't have a bad hair day or everyone will notice...
  • Feeling illiterate- we walk into a restaurant or a store and have no clue what the menu says or what's on a package. We pick our restaurants by where we know exactly what to say when to order, or when their menus are accompanied by pictures. I feel like we're missing a world of opportunities because we can't read. 
  • the 'white noise' of people speaking Korean- This is something that we've gotten used to for sure, but it still a big adjustment and at times can make me a bit nervous.... I'll sit at my desk during breaks and hear all of the Korean teachers speaking Korean around me. Now that we know a little bit of Korean, sometimes I'll catch myself eavesdropping and trying to pick up some of the few words that I can understand. You're also always on your guard wondering if they're talking about you! When we first got here it was overwhelming hearing a foreign language EVERYWHERE. But, now we've learned to tune it out. It's like one of those really bad hip hop rap songs that you can't understand a word the artist is saying, but the tune really gets to you, and you end up just letting it play in the background and enjoy it. 
  • Settling- The language difficulties are tough in lots of way. But one of the things that I think just plain sucks is having to 'settle' just because you can't understand the language or because things are just so unfamiliar and unknown. There's been a couple times where I've got to Emart or the grocery store looking for a specific item, and we end up coming out of the story empty handed because we couldn't find it or I've had to settle and get something that's 'close enough'. 
  • Settling In- We know we're not here permanently, and yet we're here for a substantial time... We're stuck between those awkward points where we should make this place our new home for now, or act like this is all temporary and we're not really going to be here that long...
  • Traffic- Traffic lights here are more of a suggestion than a law... A red light here is more like "maybe you should think of stopping... but if you don't want to that's okay too, just honk as you're going through the intersection and you'll be in the clear...". Korea is where the stereotype of Asian drivers comes from, it's the truth.
  • Shower Bathroom- I miss shower curtains and tubs. I cannot even count how many times I've walked into the bathroom and got my socks wet because Brian had just showered and I forgot to put on my sandals... 
  • Close friends and family- We're meeting lots of cool people but it's tough. No one here knows us like people back at home (so a comment here or there would mean a lot!!). I'm definitely not the best person at making friends and putting myself out there, so it has definitely had to be a conscious effort. I miss being able to hang out with people who know me, life is just so much more simple that way... 
  • No Dryer- I knew this would be an issue when we decided to come here. But I really thought it wouldn't be that big of a deal, I used to hang a bunch of my clothes before Korea already... but your jeans and sweaters just stay stretched out, they don't fit nice, and man the lint! Lint is my mortal enemy!
Things that we've learned to love about Korea:
  • The language- I know this is on both the con and pro list but I'm writing this and so it doesn't matter... Korean language is amazing. Pretty easy to learn- very phonetic, and as our Korean teacher would say it is very 'emotional'. While we have one or two words to explain how a river flows, the Korean language has a dozen. Not only do they have so many more descriptive words, sometimes learning Korean is just amusing... We'll be learning new vocab words and trying to sound out the hangul and the Korean word will end up sounding exactly like the English, pee-sha is pizza. 
  • The peeps (Waygooks and Koreans alike)- at the church we attend people have been SO welcoming...It's amazing how friendly everyone is! I was talking to a coworker this week about how amazing it is that so many foreigners from different walks of life and different sides of the world are able to come together and make such a community... We just signed up for the host family program at the church. They're going to match Brian and I up with a Korean family or couple who speaks some English and they'll show us a bit about Korea and we'll get to know them. It'll be neat to learn more about the culture and make some relationships.
  • This one is Brian's definitely not mine- KIMCHI- spicy fermented cabbage- Ewwwww in my books, but Brian can't get enough of the stuff. Thankfully my Korean teacher who makes my lunch plate for me everyday has realized I'm not fond of the stuff only gives me a few tiny pieces for lunch, meantime Brian's plate is stacked high with the stuff. In general, Brian has really embraced the spiciness of Korean food. The spicier the better for him. There is one restaurant that we go to where Brian orders the spiciest dish ever! And yet he loves it! His face is red and a bit sweaty by the end and his body hates him for it the next day but he still orders it every time we go through! A sucker for punishment!
  • Another one of Brian's- The price of beer- You can buy a 2L bottle of beer at the grocery store for $3. While it's not the BEST or most amazing beer, it's decent and comparable to any Canadian beer.
  • The kids- While we may not love the hours of work, the administration, and other things about the job, the kids make every moment worth it. Not only are they so smart, but they're also hilarious. Everyday I think of ways I can take them home with me!

Korea is a wonderful and amazing country. So far Brian and I have been reveling in the experiences we're having. The time is flying by! This upcoming weekend we're hoping to meet up with a friend Brian knows from TBay and we hung out with in Edmonton. We're hoping to get the chance to see a bit more of Seoul as well! In two weeks, we have our lunar new year in which we get 5 days off. We've planned a ski trip to a ski resort in Korea for a few days with some co-workers. It looks like a beautiful place and should be lots of fun, and who knows maybe I'll actually learn to ski!  And then before we know it, it will be March and the Mol's will be visiting and then it will be May and my parents will be here! So many things to look forward to!
 

2 comments:

  1. Liquid fabric softner should take care of the fuzzies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the word waygooks... its funny. But what is even MORE funny is the thought of YOU (Robyn) SKIING! Bahahahahaha. Make sure you take a lot of pictures and do a post about what Korean hospitals are like after your break your leg!!

    ReplyDelete