Well another week has gone by! And Christmas is quickly approaching! Brian and I have booked a short vacation with a tour group to Jeju Island off the south coast of Korea. It won't be tropical or anything, but a little warmer, and it will be nice to get away so we're getting excited for that!
Our first REAL snowfall in cheongju- it stuck around for 1 day
Another week has flown by! Insane to think we've almost been here 3 months, and even more crazy to think that at the end of December is 1 year wedding anniversary! Felt like just yesterday we were doing the last minute planning for the wedding!
This week was pretty uneventful (besides a crazy Friday night, but I'll get to that later..) At school we have been extremely busy getting ready for the Christmas production that we're putting on this upcoming week. Pretty much all of our regular classes have been taken up for rehearsals. They're crazy about their productions here! I think I have taught maybe 5 regular classes since the beginning of December! They push these kids SO hard to not only memorize all their lines but to also perform perfectly. My classes are doing a Christmas acrostic and poem while Brian's one class is doing a play about a grumpy gorilla, and his 7 year old class is doing a play called A Present for Father Christmas. Below is a video of one of our 'special performances' some of our students doing Taekwando. This video was taken last week, so they have gotten a bit better at it....
Other than that our week was uneventful. And we THOUGHT we were going to have a pretty quiet weekend until Friday came around... This is the short form of events: Friday night we planned on going to see the new Narnia movie with a bunch of people from church. We went and saw the movie (It's good! Makes me want to read all the Narnia books!) and after we decided to head out to our favorite place, the ethnic bar. After a few drinks we left the bar at 2:00am (much later than we ever originally planned), we were then convinced to head to another bar, where most of the westerners hang out, called RoadKing. After some time there, we were feeling a bit peckish, and headed for some food at about 4am. A generous friend ordered for all of us, we had Haejang Guk 뼈 해장국, which translates to cow spine soup. And suprinsingly, it was quite delicious! It was gross when you looked at it, because it was literally a piece of cow spine... But the meat was DELICIOUS! While in the restaurant we met a group of very nice Koreans, a girl and a 4 guys. They were very friendly, and even bought us some soju (yuck!). After we ate our food and had a quick rice ball fight (there's no snow here!) we headed to a norae-bong with our new friends! It was Brian and I's first experience in a Norae Bong, and it was quite interesting. Pretty much you rent a room with a couch or two in it, a tv for the karaoke, a microphone, and a few tambourines. We sang a few songs, and I eventually dragged Brian out of the place at 6:30am! WAY later (or earlier, depends how you look at it) than we ever imagined! Overall a very fun night, and definitely worth the lack of sleep!
Our friend Laura talking to our new Korean friends at the restaurant
Norae Bong!
Brian's in there like a dirty shirt...
Ben singing his heart out!
Brian's new best friend
Sarah also enjoying herself
never learnt his name...
or hers....
Saturday, as you can imagine, was quite lazy! Saturday evening we went to the church for a food of the nations potluck I made chili)! It was absolutely delicious and fun to try different foods from around the world! We watched a movie after our dinner with everyone and then called it an early night! (Sorry no pictures! I forgot my camera!)
Sunday, today, we did our usual, church, mcdonalds, korean lessons. Then I decided to spoil Brian, and we made a trip to HomePlus (another one of their walmart like stores) and we made a few purchases: A small TV (22'') and an xbox with kinect for Brian. I'm not really sure what I was thinking letting Brian get it, but I was nice, it's his Christmas present to himself (I'm getting an oven for myself!). As a write this right now, Brian is playing boxing on the kinect... We have conditions on the Xbox though, he's not allowed to play it on the weekend unless we have no plans, and I don't want to go somewhere.... either way I think I will regret the purchase after some time... Oh well!
That's all for now! Have a good week!
I think it would be a good idea for Robyn to play XBox alongside Brian as a quality bonding time. If you can't beat him, join him...Just curious, did Robyn sing in the norae-bong??
ReplyDeleteSounds/looks as though you had a fun night. The all nations potluck sounds like it was great too. Sure enjoy seeing what you're up to.
ReplyDeleteIt's absolutely freezing cold here - minus 20+ in the day time with lots of sun! At least we're not getting whacked with snow the way Aunt Jo is - did you see those pics?